Thursday, February 2, 2012

Manchester Uniteds Rookie Ben Amos ready for chelsea challenge


Ben Amos is on standby for the biggest game of his life against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. United’s 21-year-old third choice keeper’s last senior away outing for the Reds was at Aldershot but he is now primed for another SOS call in London. The Macclesfield-born keeper came to Sir Alex Ferguson’s rescue against Stoke City on Tuesday night when the champions were struck by a double injury blow the day before the match. Anders Lindegaard was KO’d in Monday’s pre-match training session and left Carrington on crutches and then Fergie revealed that David de Gea, too, had picked up an injury towards the end of the workout. Both were ruled out of the Stoke match and Amos was drafted in for his Premier League debut. Prior to his Aldershot Carling Cup match in October he did play at Elland Road against Leeds in the previous round but the rest of his four first team appearances have been in the home comforts of Old Trafford. But having kept a clean sheet against Stoke, Amos believes he is capable of gatecrashing Lindegaard and De Gea’s duel for the No 1 shirt. “It felt really good to keep a clean sheet on my Premier League debut. I have been waiting a long time for an opportunity this season and, thankfully, it has come. I like to think I made the most of it,” said Ben. “I have been ready all season. I feel I am ready to play at this level. “It has been kind of frustrating that these chances don’t come around. But you have to be ready when something like that happens and you are thrown straight in. “I just played my own game. There were a few nerves but I think that is healthy. I had a few little nerves before I went out but I played my own game. “All I can do is keep a clean sheet and play the best I can when I get a chance. You have to do the best you can. It is the manager who makes the decisions and all I can do is put pressure on the other two in training and take any chance I get.” Apart from a routine save and collecting a few crosses, Amos’s big-time bow was a sedate one. “In a sense, I wanted more to do but then there is a temptation to go and chase things,” he added. “You see a lot of keepers with not much experience who go chasing things to try and make an impact and there is no need to do. “That is what I had in my head. Obviously I wanted to be positive with any decision. “I had to be positive about them but I wasn’t going to chase anything I didn’t need to and I think I got that right.”

Source: http://menmedia.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY STUDY IN AUSTRALIA?

Why Australia? Australia is fast becoming a preferred destination in terms of education among Nepali students. Currently, this "l...